Your oral health is essential for the well-being of your entire body. Routine brushing and flossing at home are necessary to keep your smile looking its best. But, visiting a dentist for a comprehensive exam and cleaning is essential. These are regarded as the most important preventive dental care measures that help manage and sustain excellent oral health in the long haul.
Our dentist in Mooresville, NC, and their team always strive to provide you and your family with quality dental care through oral exams and professional dental cleanings to achieve your goals of better oral health.
What are dental exams?
Dental exams are routine tests that are performed in general and preventive dentistry to help keep dental problems at bay. Usually, a good clinical examination can provide information about your oral health to build up your dental health record.
A dental exam includes the following:
- Detection of tooth decay
- Evaluation of gum disease
- Assessment of the existing restorations
- Performing dental X-rays (if necessary)
- Oral cancer screening
What are dental cleanings?
They are professional cleaning sessions performed in your oral cavity by a skilled dentist. They aim to clean your teeth and gums to get rid of any harmful bacteria. These cleanings are the best way to ensure that your mouth is free from infection.
These include the following:
- Plaque removal through ultrasonic scalers (scaling and root planing)
- Elimination of calculus (hardened form of plaque).
- Teeth polishing using specialized rubber cups and paste to remove stains and smooth the surfaces. This aids in the prevention of plaque adherence.
Why are dental exams and deep cleans important?
If achieving good oral health is your prime concern, then you must consider the benefits of regular dental exams and professional cleanings:
- Early detection of oral diseases
- Early signs of oral diseases can be detected during routine dental exams and can be cured before they progress.
- Boosts oral hygiene
- Regular brushing and flossing may not be sufficient to eliminate plaque and calculus.
- Regular professional cleanings once in 6 months can help you to start fresh and maintain the results through oral home aids.
- Habit and nutritional counseling
- Your routine exams also involve patient education programs and counseling sessions about lifestyle habits, diet, and oral hygiene practices.
- Enhancing overall oral health
- Taking care of your teeth and gums will go a long way when you review your oral health.
- This also positively influences your general health since certain systemic diseases can be easily managed.
Dental exams and cleanings are critical for maintaining healthy teeth and gums. A healthy oral cavity means a healthier you!